Updates on the status of ongoing presidential searches
Presidential searches are the most important responsibility carried out by the Board of Regents, in consultation with the institution’s Board of Trustees.
The search for a new president of an institution within the Utah System of Higher Education can take 8-12 months to complete. What follows is a general overview of the search process:
- The Board of Regents names a search committee, which is comprised of representatives from the Board of Regents, trustees, faculty, staff, students and alumni of the institution, as well as community members. It is co-chaired by a Regent and the chair of the institutional Board of Trustees.
- The search committee convenes public constituent meetings, approves a position description, and calls for nominations and applications.
- The search committee screens candidate applications and conducts interviews.
- The search committee deliberates and forwards a list of three to five recommended finalists to the Board of Regents.
- The names of finalists are publicly announced.
- Finalists meet with campus constituent representatives.
- The Board of Regents interviews, selects, and announces the new president.
Weber State University
Utah Valley University
11/28/2017 – Two public meetings held to obtain input on the presidential position announcement by the UVU community
11/13/2017 – UVU Presidential Search Committee named by the Board of Regents
11/6/2017 – UVU President Matthew S. Holland called as LDS mission president, set to leave UVU in June 2018
University of Utah
1/18/2018 – Ruth V. Watkins named 16th President of the University of Utah
1/12/2018 – Three finalists announced in the University of Utah presidential search
8/29/2017 – University of Utah Presidential Search Committee announces public meetings
6/15/17 – University of Utah Presidential Search Committee members named by the Board of Regents.
5/1/17 – Statement on the University of Utah presidential search.
Utah State University
10/26/16 – Dr. Noelle Cockett named new President of USU
10/19/16 – Four finalists named in USU presidential search
04/13/16 – USU Presidential Search Committee announces public meeting schedule
03/23/16 – USU Presidential Search Committee members announced
02/03/16 – Statement on the retirement of Utah State University President Stan Albrecht