The New Century Scholarship encourages Utah high school students to accelerate their education by earning an Associate degree in high school from an institution within the Utah System of Higher Education. The scholarship may be used at any four-year public college or university in the Utah System of Higher Education, as well as at Brigham Young University-Provo, and Westminster College. The New Century Scholarship is modified each year as a result of legislation. It is important that you use this website as your resource for the most up-to-date information.
Application Information for 2015 High School Graduates
The New Century Scholarship application for 2015 will become available November 17, 2014 and will be posted on this webpage. All applications will be due (postmarked) February 2, 2015. Late or incomplete applications are not accepted.
Information for Future Applicants
The New Century Scholarship Program Guide outlines the requirements for the scholarship, including the math and science curriculum. A new guide is produced each April for the upcoming high school academic year. Do not rely on past scholarship information or application packets as they are out-of-date. It is the applicant’s responsibility to read and understand the requirements of the scholarship. If after reading the information, you still have questions, please work with your counselor, early college adviser, or contact our office.
An important item to note in the program guide include, but is not limited to:
- Beginning Fall semester 2013, students are required to enroll in and successfully complete 15 credit hours and earn a 3.3 semester GPA each semester they receive the scholarship.
Information for Recipients
Students who qualify for the New Century Scholarship are required to renew the scholarship each semester. Failure to do so will result in the loss of the scholarship. Below are the rules for renewing the scholarship.
- INSTRUCTIONS FOR RENEWING the New Century Scholarship
- Students must enroll in 15 credit hours & earn a 3.3 GPA for Fall semester 2013 in order to maintain eligibility.
- Deadlines for renewing the scholarship remain the same. If a student is submitting a request for a leave of absence, the deadlines have changed. (See the New Century Deferment and Leave of Absence Guide.)
- Faxed or emailed documents are not accepted.
2014-15 Award Information
Based on legislative funding, the award amounts for the 2014-2015 college academic year Fall & Spring semesters (Fall & Winter at BYU) are as follows:
- The award will be a flat dollar amount of $1,250 per semester.
- Students must renew their award every semester.
- The rate of $1,250 per semester will be applied to all scholarship participants.
Funding levels beyond Spring semester 2015 are unknown. Award levels are announced each April for the upcoming academic year and can be found on this website. Award amounts are determined annually and are subject to legislative funding and the total number of qualified participants. Award amounts may be reduced, may vary from year to year, and are dependent on when the recipient is enrolled in college.
Contact the New Century Scholarship
New Century Scholarship Program
PO Box 145116
Salt Lake City, Utah 84114-5116